Sunday, August 26, 2007

100 Miles by Moonlight. The Dark Century.


I just woke up from the coma induced sleep of crashing on my bed after riding my bike for 100 miles through the dead of night, on the Dark Century. It was an epic journey from Union Station downtown, to Hollywood, then snaking down the LA river to Long Beach, then north to El Monte, across south Pasadena and finally back to downtown. There were a lot of beautiful views of various parts of LA at night on the hills, and we went through lots of areas I'd never been before. It was a life perspective changing sort of ride. Lots of pain and accomplishment awaited our finish, and we satisfied our hunger at Denny's which has never tasted so good, but only because I was so hungry.

Final stats from my bike computer: 99.8 miles, 6:16:37 riding time (doesn't include planned and unplanned breaks for food, drink, fixing mechanical problems and flat tires), average speed 15.8 mph, 2946 ft. of climbing, and an estimated 5830 calories burned for a rider my height and weight.

I think I'm going to go lay down some more. Bed, so soft, so wonderful...

No comments:

Post a Comment